Thursday, January 13, 2011

Recipe 8: Chicken Pita

Prep Time: 3 mins
Cook Time: 8-20 mins depending on thickness of chicken and amount cooked

True to form, I'm posting a recipe that is really easy to customize to your own tastes and whims.


The Basics

Boneless Skinless Chicken (as much as your family will eat in Pita form)
1/2 cup of flour
2 Tbsp Cinnamon
Olive Oil
Pitas
Any type of lettuce you prefer

1.) Coat the bottom of a large skillet in olive oil and heat on med.
     If you use a non-stick pan, your chicken will not brown, but it will cook.
2.) Combine flour and cinnamon in a large bowl. Lightly coat chicken with flour mixture.
3.) Fry in olive oil.
4.) Cut into bite-sized pieces and salt to taste.
5.) Put fresh lettuce in pita, top with chicken and your choice of sauce.

The great thing about this meal is the absolute versatility. With these basics, I was able to pacify so many different tastes in a house that sometimes has to be tricked into eating healthy.

For the grown-ups, I made a spicy/sweet sauce from mixing Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet and Spicy sauce with a little juice from a maraschino cherry jar for added sweetness and thinning. It was great and reminded me of McDonald's Southwest sauce. For my son, I just dabbed on some Ranch--the only dressing that exists before age 20. And, for myself, I plan to add some fresh tomatoes, fresh spinach and Caesar dressing for lunch tomorrow, just to have a new take on things.

Chicken is a great base. Though not flavorless, it is not overpowering, and greens go with anything, so go wild and try it all without having to make 30 different batches!

I know, I was pretty excited about that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment